Saturday 4 January 2014

Coldplay channelling Resurrection

I listened properly to Coldplay's Lost last night after hearing it played as part of the soundtrack to this good film. I'm not sure if I'd heard it before but it's nigh impossible not to recognise Chris Martin's inimitable voice. Once the film was over I googled it and have been playing it, on repeat ever since (bar 8 hours of sleep ;) The comments on the song's youtube page show me I'm not alone. From the little research I've done (on the *reliable* Wikipedia) it appears the song was written to express a sense of band's bereftness at the end of a big tour. That said, the opening lines are surely a haunting and profound way for the Christian to express our wonderful hope in the Resurrection:
Just because I'm losing
doesn't mean I'm lost
I can picture this being said by the various people I've visited who were on the final leg of this earthly race, peering into the face of eternity but, with one slight modification:
Just because I'm losing
doesn't mean I'm Lost.
No believer is ever capital L Lost. We may suffer and cry and hurt and ultimately die but in the end we will have the final laugh on death! That is part of the wonder of what we've just celebrated at Christmas. That because God sent His Son into the world, we can, through Him - Jesus Christ - be called children of God. And some day (thousands of years from now!) He will come again to judge the living and the dead and then welcome all who are His to a life where there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain (Revelation 21:1-8). The future as they say is bright (for the Christian). It may be dark and painful now but then, when Christ returns, it will be feasting, fellowship and endless fun (Isaiah 25:6-8). St Paul puts it movingly in his magisterial passage on the Resurrection:
Where, O death, is your victory?
   Where, O death is your sting? 
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Amen and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment