Tuesday 12 April 2011

Thought for the day: Why aren't we Brits mad about babies?

These past few weeks, my dear wife and I have been reading Exodus as part of our daily devotions. Yesterday from chapter 21 we read:


22 “When men strive together and hit a pregnant woman, so that her children come out, but there is no harm, the one who hit her shall surely be fined, as the woman's husband shall impose on him, and he shall pay as the judges determine. 23 But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.


Apart from the striking observation that the lex talionis is set in the context of feticide and is not some general rule to be banded about, I was struck by the seriousness that the LORD treats the destroying of fetual life. So why is it that Christians/The Church in Britain doesn't seem that fussed about this issue? Why are we BIG on Biblically dubious issues like "fair trade" and "climate change" whilst being quiet on the Biblically abhorrent issues like abortion and homosexuality?

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, Kip.
    I recently posted this ---http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-6VLUVglG8 ---
    on my Facebook page

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,

    Thanks for the video - I'll put it up on my blog as a new post. Thanks for the tip.

    K

    ReplyDelete