An interesting read from the Population Research Institute with some illuminating graphics (see left) and fun statistics e.g:
- Demographers estimate that at least 20 billion people lived on earth between the years 8000 B.C. and 0 A.D. (That’s right, the idea that half of all people who have ever lived are alive currently is a myth!)
- Plankton make up 3 times more biomass than all 7 billion humans combined.
- Every man, woman, and child on earth could each have 5 acres of land.
- Every man, woman, and child on earth could each have a half acre of arable land.
- If we wanted to squeeze close, everyone in the world could stand shoulder-to-shoulder on the island of Zanzibar.
Check out the full article here